We need real action now, not pledges and ambition
The Cop26 Coalition invites you to an International Press Briefing online, to hear from leading voices in the global climate justice movement, ahead of the UK Government’s Climate Ambition Summit on the 12th.
Date and time: 1pm – 1.45pm (45 mins) GMT, Wednesday 9th December 2020
Link to join the press briefing on the day: https://zoom.us/j/99389890816 (Please do not share this link via Twitter as to avoid zoom bombing!)
Host: Asad Rehman, War on Want
- Meena Raman, Third World Network, Penang, Malaysia
- Sonia Guajajara, Coalition of Indigenous Peoples of Brazil
- Mitzi Jonelle Tan, Fridays for Future, Philippines
- Matt Wrack, General Secretary, Fire Brigade Union UK
- Brandon Wu, ActionAid USA
- Mary Church, Friends of the Earth Scotland
Direct Action groups:
- Shale Must Fall
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words – Mossmorran, Scotland
- Glasgow Calls Out Polluters
- Fridays for Future Scotland
It is eleven months until the COP26 UN Climate Change Negotiations begin in Glasgow, and five years since the Paris Agreement. The UK, as COP President, is using this moment as an opportunity to toot its own horn and draw a veil of success over weak, inadequate policies, while doing very little.
The COP26 Coalition invites you to an International Press Briefing to hear from representatives from the climate justice movement from across the world ahead of the UK Government’s Climate Ambition Summit on the 12th.
Speakers include representatives from the British Trade Union Movement, Fridays for Future Youth Strikers, the Movement for Black Lives, Indigenous Leaders and frontline communities fighting climate change and false solutions internationally, as well as veteran campaigners from both the inside and the outside of the COP process. Activists from direct action movements who are taking international action throughout next week will also be there to answer questions.
Speakers will make clear that the UK is not doing its fair share and Net Zero 2050 is a death sentence for millions. Recent announcements show that governments are continuing to ignore the reality of the science. Their plans and pledges fail to keep us below 1.5 degrees warming, with most putting us past 3c, which is a death sentence for millions. We need concrete action rooted in justice starting now, not vision statements and ambitions committed to maintaining profit over people and the planet.
This is an opportunity to meet the diverse civil society movement organising from the ground up around COP26 for climate justice, who are committed to holding governments and corporations to account.
Speakers will cover the following;
- Where the UK is at in terms of tackling climate breakdown five years on from Paris, assessing the recent announcement of Paris pledges (NDCs)
- The false solutions being rolled out which harm indigenous communities and the most marginalised
- What a Just Transition for workers and communities looks like
- What a fair share of climate mitigation looks like for the US.
- We need concrete action rooted in justice starting now, not vision statements and ambitions committed to maintaining profit over people and the planet.
- The COP26 Coalition’s vision for mobilising a movement around the COP negotiations in Glasgow.
Join the press briefing: https://zoom.us/j/99389890816 (Please do not share this link via Twitter as to avoid zoom bombing!)
Join by phone:
Meeting ID: 993 8989 0816
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ay7b65nxp
English and Portuguese will be spoken, simultaneous translation will be provided.
More info; [email protected] / +447507888837
www.cop26coalition.org / @cop26coalition
To be added to our distribution list, please email [email protected].